An Amazing Tutorial On How to Write a Research Paper Abstract
An abstract of the research paper is a short summary that provides general information about the work and outlines the methods that were used in the research, objectives of the author, his or her findings and inferences. It is necessary to remember that writing a research paper abstract means summarizing the actions of the author, but not the topic of the research itself. What is more, one of the main requirements for such writing is its brevity (125-200 words).
Main points of the research paper abstract.
An abstract should shed a light on such points as:
- Objectives of the research;
- Methods used;
- Short conclusions;
Your abstract should begin with stating the problem your research deals with. So, your main objective is to solve this problem. It is also recommended to write several words about the topic and why it is important to study it.
While writing about the methods, the author should clarify the way the above mentioned problem was solved or explored. If your research is made in the scientific field, this section should describe a process, with the help of which the research was conducted. In case you are dealing with some research based on visual or performing arts, it is best to name the media used in conducting it.
Here you should just say a few words about the results of your research.
Do not forget to state what contribution your paper made to the science. Your words have to sound convincing and must prove that your paper is worth getting acquainted with.
How do I fit everything in the word limit?
Be concise. It is not necessary to include some background information, or too many details. Also, try to avoid usage of adjectives and other modifiers. There should be no subjectiveness in your abstract either.
Several more tips:
- Do not use collocations. Using colloquial words and phrases in the research paper abstract is treated to be a severe mistake. If necessary, try to find the synonym which sounds more scientifically.
- The syntactic structure should be simple. Avoid using complex sentences with several clauses, as they have bad influence on the understanding of the abstract and contain too many words.
- Use past tenses while speaking about the findings.
- Use passive voice. This voice is a lot more preferable in research papers.
- Do not paste any quotations. They are not necessary, as you need just mere facts in your abstract.